A Statement of Who We Are, What We Do, and Why We Do It
The Building Performance Contractors Association of New York State (BPCA/NYS), is a not-for-profit statewide trade association of more than 200 building performance contractors, home energy raters, building diagnosticians, energy auditors, engineers, architects and consultants. BPCA's mission and priorities for the industry and its member businesses include the following key objectives:
- Advocate for the integration of building science principles in the design, construction, renovation, and maintenance of the built environment;
- Promote high performance building standards, techniques and best practices that address health and safety, building durability, energy-efficiency, and comfort issues;
- Strive for the application of high building standards in Home Energy Ratings for new homes and comprehensive building performance evaluations for existing homes;
- Support the education and training of building performance professionals for obtaining nationally recognized accreditation and adhering to relevant standards including the Building Performance Institute (BPI) and the Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET).
We believe that such objective advance the interests of our members, their customers, the community, the environment, and the Earth itself; therefore, BPCA/NYS pursues the following activities:
- Continuing education of members, trade allies, building professionals, and all interested parties in the proper application of building science principals.
- Stewardship of the Energy Star Labeled Homes program through our Home Energy Rater System Providership. We encourage and promote new homes that exceed the minimum energy standards of current Building Codes.
- Encouraging and promoting Home Performance professionals who conduct whole house assessments and perform retrofits to increase health and safety and reduce the energy requirements of the existing housing stock.
- Supporting LEED for Homes, the NAHB National Green Building Program, and other "green building"� initiatives that incorporate Home Energy Ratings.
Our trainings, workshops, web presence, community actions, and other activities are intended to encourage understanding and awareness at every stage of the construction process of the best, most current knowledge of applied building science. We endeavor to deliver our message to an audience including but are not limited to the following: government agencies, code development bodies, code officials, developers, architects, engineers, builders, subcontractors in all areas, third-party evaluators, remodelers, Realtors, home inspectors, and homeowners.